When it comes to interior design and fashion, Scandi style has been the trend that everyone’s been talking about. From minimalist furniture to eco-friendly materials, the Scandinavian look is all about simplicity, functionality, and quality. In this article, we’ll explore the origins of Scandi style, how it has evolved over time, and why it has become so popular around the world.
Origins of Scandi Style
Scandinavian design, also known as Nordic design, originated in the 1930s as a response to the economic and political challenges of the time. The movement was led by designers such as Alvar Aalto of Finland, Arne Jacobsen of Denmark, and Hans Wegner of Sweden. At its core, Scandi style emphasizes functionality and minimalism, drawing inspiration from the natural landscapes and materials of the Nordic region.
Characteristics of Scandi Style
So what are the key characteristics of Scandi style? Here are a few:
- Clean lines: Scandi style is all about simplicity, so furniture and objects tend to have clean, geometric shapes.
- Light colors: The color palette is typically light and muted, with a lot of whites, grays, and pastels.
- Natural materials: Wood, wool, and leather are common materials used in Scandi style, reflecting the region’s natural landscapes.
- Functionality: Every object has a purpose, and the focus is on creating practical, efficient designs.
Evolution of Scandi Style
While Scandi style has its roots in the mid-20th century, it has evolved significantly over time. Today’s Scandi style is more about creating a cozy, inviting atmosphere than about stark minimalism. This can be seen in the growth of “hygge” (a Danish word roughly translating to “coziness”) as a concept, which has become an important part of modern Scandinavian design philosophy.
The New Nordic Look
Another development in Scandi style is the emergence of the “New Nordic” look. This style still incorporates the essential elements of Scandi design, but combines them with a more eclectic, global aesthetic. Brighter colors, bolder patterns, and mixed materials are all hallmarks of the New Nordic look, which has gained popularity in recent years.
Why Scandi Style is Popular
So why has Scandi style exploded in popularity both in Scandinavia and around the world? There are a few reasons:
- Functionality: People love how practical and efficient Scandi design is, particularly in smaller spaces like apartments.
- Nature-inspired: The emphasis on natural materials and earthy tones appeals to our desire for connection with nature.
- Minimalism: In a world that can feel cluttered and hectic, Scandi style provides a sense of calm and order.
- Trendy yet timeless: While Scandi style is certainly on trend right now, its focus on functionality and quality means that it won’t go out of style anytime soon.
Scandi style’s rise to global popularity is a testament to the enduring appeal of simplicity, functionality, and quality. Whether you’re a die-hard Scandi enthusiast or just dipping your toe into the trend, there’s no denying that Nordic design has had a major impact on interior design and fashion around the world.
Lighting is a crucial element in any space, but finding the right lighting solution can be daunting. Flos Aim Lighting...
Lighting is an essential element in interior design, and glass light shades have become a popular choice for modern homes....
If you're looking for a way to upgrade your home's décor without breaking the bank, faux sconce lights may be...
The Science: When the sun goes down, our bodies naturally start producing a hormone called melatonin. Melatonin is responsible for...
When it comes to home décor, lighting plays a crucial role. It can set the mood, highlight key areas, and...
Lighting plays a vital role in our homes as it not only illuminates dark spaces but also adds aesthetic value...